Sunday, June 23, 2013

Right now it’s 12:30 a.m., I’m sitting on the floor in Alia’s living room, and she’s serenading Tim and I with sweet melodies from her guitar.  She thinks she doesn’t know the right words, but it doesn’t matter.  The guitar strings can do the singing.  And her voice is beautiful, regardless of the lyrics. 
 
It’s a typical weekend.   The convoy of busses, stake trucks, and a couple planter cars usually roll into the complex around 9 p.m. on Saturday.  We usually stop for DQ, then head over to Alia’s house, where it’s even more ridiculous to see a convoy of busses and stake trucks parked on a quiet, tree-lined neighbourhood street.  Alia’s mom is an incredibly gracious host, letting 8 of us dirty tree planters (er, 7 plus a cook) take over her house every weekend.  There are bags of dirty laundry in the entry way, sleeping bags scattered on every couch and bed, and beers stuffed in every open spot in the fridge.  Soon after arriving, there are 8 people also spread out on every bed or couch, minus the one in the shower.   Sometimes we head out for drinks and dancing, sometimes we crash and sleep off a long week.  Dancing with a bunch of tree planters is a great time, albeit a very sweaty time. 

Sundays I’ve been going to Grassroots Church in the morning, where it feels wonderfully like being at home.  Plus, who doesn’t like having a coffee / snack break in the middle of the service?  After church we find one way or another to chill and fill the day.  There’s usually a nap involved, and lots of hippie-like living room sessions, with someone on the guitar or the piano, and everyone else on slightly out of key back-up vocals.  Lee’s mom loves it. 

Sundays aren’t all naps and sleepy sing alongs, though.  One day I sat in Pink Penny where I had a great view of Sleepy G and Lake Superior, reading a book in the sun.  Another day I went for a skate around Boulevard Lake, and at the end the skies opened up and it poured.  It was delicious.  We’ve gone out to see a couple movies, although none have gotten me too excited yet.  Maybe because I haven’t seen Star Trek.  We’ve gone out for sushi (I just watched), and of course to the complex for a swim, although now it’s closed for a few weeks, and we’re not sure what to do with ourselves.

Mondays are a bit busier, with a trip out to the shop to get a vehicle, then pick up meat on the way back, then a few stops to get the last of the groceries.  I will always make time for breakfast at a diner, though.  Very sadly, the T Bay Restaurant is closed for good, but Miranda and Alia introduced us to this great new place, Norma Jean’s.  The walls are covered with posters of Marilyn Monroe and classic cars, the booths have faded plastic seats, and the food is deliciously greasy.  It’s the perfect morning-after breakfast place. 

At 4:30 the busses meet at the complex again and we all head back out to camp, and we get ready to start all over again Tuesday morning.   While I’m sure the planters are well aware of every grueling day out there, the days and weeks seem to be flying by to me.  When I’m tired and jonesing for a nap, time seems to drag by a little slower, but in general it’s hard to believe that I’m on week 7 of my menu plans.  And that Jordan is coming up here in one week!


Jordan came over his birthday weekend, the end of week 5.  I picked him up on Thursday morning, we grabbed a few mid-week groceries, a couple Persians, and headed back out to camp.  He sat on the cook shack counter, entertaining Naomi, Barnes, and I, while we made dinner.  Friday he planted, and managed to high ball most of the rookies, with a solid 3k by 4:30, even with a mid-afternoon cache nap.  He was tired when he got back though, so it should be fun for him to be forced back into shape when he gets here next week.  Saturday we barbequed burgers together, which could have ended with the cookshack burning down, thanks to the massive flames leaping from Jordan’s barbeque.  It’s probably best that he leaves the cooking to Naomi and I next time.   It was great to see him and sad to leave him, but we’re awesome, and love persists.  Not everyone may agree with us spending 7 weeks apart, but I truly appreciate it, because I know that when we’re together again, it’s that much more awesome.   I love my love!


A weekend with Jord


Some days it gets pretty hot in the kitchen


New camp has butterflies every where!

No comments: