Friday, April 18, 2008

Well friends, I’m finally off for Spring Break, as of 4:30 this afternoon. Tomorrow morning we leave for Marseille, we’ll spend some time in Nice and Italy, and then I’m coming home early for a solo trip to Holland to visit some family. I’m super excited, and although I’m sure this sounds silly, I’m hoping the next two weeks fly by. Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to appreciate this trip to the max, but I’m just happy that every day spent completely occupied is one more that I can check off my count-down.

And is the countdown ever on—only 42 days left! I’ve already done all the major stuff in Paris…most multiple times…and now I’m exploring the less-known and less-seen quarters of the city. I wanna see and do everything possible with the time I have left here. I’ve spent lots of days wishing to come home, and I’m sure there’ll be more in the next few weeks, but I know that this is a one in a lifetime experience, so I’m trying to appreciate it all and make the most of it. I realize how cliché that is, but it’s what everyone has been reminding me for the past few months (and rightly so), so I think it’s finally stuck. Keep reminding me though, ‘cause seriously, on the homesick days it’s what I need to hear to keep me from saying “screw it” and jumping on the next plane to Canada. I’m so close though, eh? No sense giving up now.

One of the things I’m most excited to do in May is to find a park bench to read on in Jardin Luxembourg that will be “mine”. I get very attached to in-animate objects…call me materialist, call me immature…but I like to have things or a spot to call “mine”. My spot used to be at my window in my bedroom—every day I spent a few minutes with the windows wide open, rain or shine, and I’d just stare at the sky or the top of the Sacre Coeur (‘cause that’s all I can see from the 6th floor). It was nice…but then one morning a pigeon left a disgusting present on the ledge right outside my window, and it splattered all over the window, and now there’s flies and…yuck. Even all Paris’ rain won’t wash it away. Anyways, moral of that unnecessarily long story is: my “spot” was taken over by a pigeon, so it’s time to find a new one. I’ll keep you updated on how that goes, ‘cause I’m sure you’re on the edge of your seats by now wondering how it will all end.

In all honesty, I didn’t really have anything to blog about; I just wanted to post some more pictures. So I’ll cut the crap and give you the good stuff. For all of you over 30, I apologize for my language…

I’ll be back in a couple weeks with more great pictures, and hopefully some better stories!

Pont Alexandre III

It snowed here…while you guys were getting sunburns.
PS, Jordan, sorry to speak on your behalf…but I figured it was safe to assume…

waiting early in the morning to get into the Louvre

One of my favourite pieces: “Psyché ranimée par le baiser de l’Amour”


After coming out the Louvre, and having seen Asians giving the peace sign in front of masterpieces all day, I felt the need to do it too. I just don’t understand how they still find that cool…


Louvre at nite

We had spring in Paris for one day! And it was lovely!

Trying to get the last drop out of a Tims cup sent to me byJordan. No luck, he drank it all.

I rolled up a winner!!!

5 comments:

Katrina VandenBerg said...

YOU WON!

i think you have a better track record than some of us out here!

liz said...

you won on your first try. i didn't even win once this year! hope things are going well. love reading all about the paris life :)

Danielle said...

lol, i think i should mention that my sweet heart fiance sent me not only 1 tims cup, but 9, since the odds of winning are 1 in 9. and i did win, one out of 9! it was a coffee if anyone's wondering...

Anonymous said...

i was soooo tempted to roll those up when they were sitting at our house, and now i realize that it would have been worth it. a winner indeed!

Robyn deGroot said...

danielle... i think you are bigger than a pigeon and should show him who's boss.